Oasis Design Group provided a Main Street streetscape and downtown urban analysis for the historic Town of Sykesville, Maryland. The Town of Sykesville, Maryland, has been named Coolest Small Town in America 2016 by Budget Travel Magazine.
- Provided urban design conceptualization services that focused on the Main Street corridor and suggested streetscape improvements along the historic Main Street and its immediate adjacencies.
- Facilitated a design process with the community to generate design ideas and determine their feasibility and to address streetscape upgrades, parking improvements, public open space improvements and general urban design issues.
- Advised the town on matters relating to streetscape improvements and assisted in communicating those ideas directly with State Highway Administration.
- Facilitated community stakeholder meetings to bring out community desires and present design responses.
- Prepared plan-view concept designs to address community prioritized issues and areas that included Main Street mid-block pedestrian crossings, intersection safety and aesthetic improvements and pedestrian corridor aesthetic improvements.
A newspaper article gives background on the project and that the historic town of Sykesville awarded the consulting contract to Oasis Design Group. Incorporated in 1904, downtown Sykesville comprises the Sykesville Historic District. At two separate points in time, Union and Confederate Armies marched through the town center.