A principal at Oasis Design Group created a master plan for Lotusland-one of the finest examples of Southern Californian garden design. Lotusland preserves and enhances the collections of exotic plants on a 37-acre Montecito estate of the late Madame Ganna Walska who assembled the botanic garden preserve. Lotusland fosters increased knowledge and appreciation of the importance of plants and the need for their conservation.
Accomplishments by an Oasis Principal While a Chanticleer Fellow
- Developed a 10-year master plan to guide Lotusland’s transition from a private estate to a public garden. Created a master plan sketch of Lotusland that appears as an interactive map on the garden’s website.
- Focused on the preservation and restoration of these iconic gardens to exemplify the creative genius of the late Madam Walska.
- Coordinated the creation of the vision and master plan.
- Facilitated the planning process that included staff, volunteers, a long-range planning committee, and the Board of Trustees.
- Addressed infrastructural and operational deficiencies and guided the restoration and renovation of existing gardens and structures.
- Identified sites for new complementary gardens and new structures as well as expansion of existing gardens.
- Undertook extensive historical research to ensure that any proposed additions to the gardens did not adversely impact the historical significance or aesthetic of existing features.